Saturday, May 2, 2009

My first tentative step

I have officially started my PhD and to properly kick it off I have this beautiful new Dell XPS 1730 laptop. I wanted this machine because of its graphics card and processor but when it arrived I was awe struck. I knew it was a "gaming" machine but I didn't expect all the bells and whistles. It has LED lights galore - by the speakers, the touch pad, in the lid - and you can configure different modes so that the lights pulse or strobe, modulate through colours or rotate through the zones. It's like working at a disco.

It also has a miniature LCD by the keyboard which can show great stuff like my health or total kills or more mundane things like my CPU usage or unread email count. The only drawback is that it weighs a ton and I don't think it is going to fit in my bike pannier. The power cord alone is the size of a brick and the machine is 16.5 x 11.6 x 2.2 inches. But I love it - ever last shiny, pulsating inch.

Oh yeah, and it's red!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Veronika !! Nice blog and wonderful pictures :). I got the XPS 1645 recently. White with windows 7. I like it !. What do you think of the mx11?

    Upkar.

    ReplyDelete